Working from the inside out, we can ensure that what we put in our bodies helps our skin:
- Drinking lots of water is important for hydrating and flushing out toxins that can affect your skin
- Excess sugar can slow down the creation of collagen, so watch the amount of sugar you consume
- A balanced diet that includes healthy fats and lots of fruits and vegetables is also essential. Vitamins C and E (found in berries, sweet peppers, and spinach, among others) are especially important to your skin, as are fats from sources like nuts, seeds, and fatty fish (like salmon). And don’t skip the guacamole! Avocados are loaded with healthy fat and vitamins C, E, and K.
Working from the outside in, we can use topical creams that promote collagen production and add them to our daily skincare routines. Look for ingredients like vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids, retinoids, and peptides.
Bad Habits That Contribute to Wrinkles
Age isn’t the only factor in the formation of wrinkles. Sometimes it’s the things we do every day:
- Sun exposure can be very damaging to skin, so take precautions against the sun by always wearing sunscreen with high SPF or covering up with loose, light fabrics and a wide-brimmed hat
- Overdoing it with washing and exfoliating can damage collagen so be gentle with your skin and don’t exfoliate more than twice a week
- Sleeping on your side or stomach is bad for your facial skin. The deep creases created when your face meets pillow can turn into wrinkles. Try sleeping on your back instead and using a silk or satin pillow cover.
- Squinting, drinking from a straw, wearing hair in tight ponytails, arching the brows to apply eye makeup--these are some of the other repetitive behaviours that can cause wrinkles. Try to minimize these actions where possible.
- Wearing a shower cap with tight elastic is also a big NO. A traditional shower caps leave very pronounced red marks on your forehead that seem to last for hours. Regular use means repeated pressure on the thin skin of the forehead. Over time, your skin will lose its ability to bounce back from that kind of stress and permanent wrinkles may form. The TIARA shower caps are designed to be gentle on your forehead and leaves no red marks on the skin.
We invite you to take care of your skin and feel ageless as age is only a number in your minds.